Sunday, March 11, 2012




The Metal Detector and The Money Tree

We planted a red oak in our front yard several years after we bought our house. Our kids were very small then. Remembering how much fun I had as a kid looking for coins in our yard, I would occasionally reach in my pocket and throw my spare change under the red oak tree. Usually it was just a few pennies and perhaps a nickel or dime. My wife and I started telling our kids it was a "money tree", and every so often we would see one of them looking under the tree for coins - sometimes by themselves and sometimes with their friends. They had a great time doing it, and my wife always claimed that the coins under the money tree helped improve the kids' math skills.

A couple of years ago, I bought a metal detector (a Garrett Ace 250) and wanted to test it out. Immediately, I thought of the "money tree" and wondered if the kids had found all the coins over the years. As I suspected, when I tested my metal detector under the tree, the metal detector produced many pings as it located a large number of unfound coins that had become buried under the tree. And since then, my detector has brought me many hours of fun finding coins, metal toys, and other items throughout our yard.

If you are going to be purchasing one for yourself or someone else you know, there are certain features I recommend you make sure your metal detector has. First, you need to do your research (especially reading the customer feedback reviews from people who have actually purchased and used a particular metal detector) and make sure the metal detector you decide to get not only works but works well and is also easy to use. Second, you want to purchase a metal detector that is light weight. Having to hold and use a heavy one will definitely reduce your fun. Third, make sure the detector you get has an arm rest. Most do, and having an arm rest will help spread the weight of the detector over your whole arm and shoulder. Fourth, your metal detector needs to have a depth gauge. Knowing how deep you need to dig to find the metal object your detector located will save you a lot of search time and frustration. And lastly, I recommend that you get a detector that is not constructed as a single piece but rather one that comes in several pieces that can be assembled and disassembled. (Needless to say, you also want the detector pieces to be very easy to assemble and disassemble.) Having a detector that is 4-5' long and can't be disassembled can present transporting problems for you.

One other piece of advice I'd like to offer is that if this is your first metal detector, then you probably don't want to buy one of the really expensive detectors. Instead, just select a good quality detector (that has all of the features I recommended above) that is in the middle price range for detectors. This advice was given to me by a metal detector salesperson when I was looking for my first detector, and it has proven to be very good advice.



Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=John_Delaney

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home